Wednesday, November 27, 2013

The Flipped Classroom

The flipped classroom inverts traditional teaching methods in the classroom and delivers instructions online outside of the classroom. Instead of doing home work at home, home work is done in the classroom.  In the flipped classroom, students also tend to watch lectures at home at their own pace, communicating with peers and teachers via online discussions.

The notion of a flipped classroom draws on such concepts as active learning, student engagement, hybrid course design, and course podcasting. The value of a flipped class is in the repurposing of class time into a workshop where students can inquire about lecture content, test their skills in applying knowledge, and interact with one another in hands-on activities. During class sessions, instructors function as coaches or advisors, encouraging students in individual inquiry and collaborative effort.


In a flipped classroom online quizzes or activities can be interspersed to test what students have learned. Immediate quiz feedback and the ability to rerun lecture segments may help clarify points of confusion. Instructors might lead in-class discussions or turn the classroom into a studio where students create, collaborate, and put into practice what they learned from the lectures they view outside class. As on-site experts, instructors suggest various approaches, clarify content, and monitor progress. They might organize students into work groups to solve a problem that several are struggling to understand. Because this approach represents a comprehensive change in the class dynamic, some instructors have chosen to implement only a few elements of a flipped classroom.

3 comments:

  1. I agree, I really. It make it easier to do class work and you can interact with others on line. It help me bigtime because I became comfortable doing computer homework and other thing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I absolutely love the flipped classroom concept, I like to be in the comfort of my home to focus on whatever I am learning. Not to mention you learn so much from your peers and professors from the posts and lectures online.

    ReplyDelete
  3. so true, the flipped classroom is great it give us a chance to interact with our peers .

    ReplyDelete