Monday, November 4, 2013

Universal Background Checks for Gun buyers

As a law abiding citizen, I want to protect myself and my family so I think having a rigorous Universal Background Check is one of the best decisions that could be made by the Executive Branch of the U.S. government. Most gun owners believe that enforcing a Universal Background Check is a way of implementing gun registrations. Also, it has been said that gun shows are the perfect place for gun buyers/owners with abominable backgrounds and so I think all firearm dealers including gun shows should make the Universal Background Check a requirement in every states. If gun owners/dealers are not interested they should be held accountable for crimes committed using guns they sold.

“Now, 40% of all gun sales are unregulated as they are made online and at gun shows and deemed “private sales”. Seevakumaran obtained his battlefield quality armaments for $700 (pounds 460) online, with no federal scrutiny at all. “The lack of background checks on private sales is the single biggest loophole in our gun laws, and I think people have finally started to recognize that,” said Jon Vernick, co-director of the Johns Hopkins Centre for gun policy and research”(Pilkington, 2013)

No comments:

Post a Comment