Thursday, October 31, 2013

The Stand your Ground Law

A Stand-Your-Ground law is a type of self-defense law that gives individuals the right to use deadly force to defend themselves without any requirement to evade or retreat from a dangerous situation. It is law in certain jurisdictions within the United States. Also, Florida’s stand your ground law was passed in 2005. I had no idea that this law existed until the sad and very controversial death of unarmed 17 year old, Trayvon Martin.

Trayvon’s life was cut short February 26, 2012 as he walked from a store with a package of skittles and iced tea, returning to the home of his father’s fiance  The man who shot him a neighborhood watchman named George Zimmerman. Mr. Zimmerman called police to report a suspicious person walking through his neighborhood, police advised him they were on their way to not pursue him, but when police arrived at the scene Trayvon Martin was dead, killed by one gunshot wound to the chest, fired by George Zimmerman.


As we all know, there are two sides to every story. But under the circumstances in this case, we are left with only one side. The side of George Zimmerman, the other died along with Trayvon Martin. George Zimmerman claims he shot Trayvon Martin in self-defense. Now I am aware that I was not present, but I can’t help but ask myself since when has a package of skittles and a can of iced tea become deadly weapons? How can killing an unarmed person be justified? I’m still lost based on the facts and turn out of this case.

No comments:

Post a Comment